Whether you are one of those who believes granite countertop needs sealing annually or sometimes, it’s important to know when there is a need for sealing your granite countertop. The one way to know is to perform a water test on your granite countertop. It’s quite simple, just follow this guide:
• Pour water on the granite countertop, not more than ¼ of a cup.
• Set a timer at the point of pouring the water.
• Note the time it takes the granite countertop to absorb the water, it will darken as a result.
• The time it takes to absorb the water is a pointer to the need for sealing.
1. If it absorbs immediately, you need to seal annually or regularly.
2. If it takes between 4 to 5 minutes, you need to apply atleast three layers of sealants. Do this every 3 to 5 years.
3. 10 Minutes; a single layer of sealants, it may take years before sealing will be needed.
4. If it doesn’t absorb water at all, there won’t be a need for sealing.
5. Perform the water test regularly before applying any sealer.
There is a lot that can be controlled by sealing, this is why the water test is important. If you are using your granite countertop for years, it is bound to lose the sealing. From staining to total damage, there’s a lot a simple water test can solve.